Middle School at Spring Hill
beginning Fall 2017
Thank you for your interest in Spring Hill’s Middle School.
In the fall of 2017, our elementary campus, grades 1-4, will have two multi-age classrooms and remain on our historic Marin School site at 211 Spring Hill Road in Petaluma.
Our innovative, state of the art middle school campus is under construction and will open in the spring of 2018. In the fall of 2017, the middle school program, grades 5-8, will be in a temporary site walking distance from our new campus. Applications will be accepted based on spaces available for grades 5-7, and we will begin to accept applications for grade 8 in the fall of the 2017-18 school year.
An Education for the Future
Spring Hill is excited to the expansion of our innovative, project-based education to include middle school grades. The middle school curriculum combines an integrated program of humanities, STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math), world languages, makers, environmental studies, leadership (social-emotional learning), and physical education.
Middle school is a time of immense potential, when students have the opportunity to discover their gifts, develop social and emotional intelligence, evolve intellectually and physically, and form an authentic sense of self.
To tap into this potential, we believe the academic program must be based in developmental science – understanding what middle schoolers are ready for psychologically and neurologically – then working with those motivations. When learning is presented in this way, middle school students are ready for advanced academic study.
This developmental approach points to three core motivators for middle school students:
- Personal– teaching them about themselves and challenging them to reach their potential
- Social– experiencing interaction with peers and building social intelligence
- Relevant– curriculum is connected to real-life problems and applications where the value of their work is clear
Spring Hill’s Signature Programs
- Our award-winning Makers program combines design, engineering, and fabrication where students can prototype and create. Emphasis is on using and learning practical skills and applying them to design thinking.
- Without the understanding of what others see, feel, and experience, design is a pointless task. Empathy is at the heart of critical thinking, problem solving, and design thinking. We guide our students to understand complex social situations, enabling them to design with a goal of supporting needs.
- This program teaches awareness of world environment issues, the future of growing food sustainably and provides a platform for students to problem-solve.
- Through local and national partnerships and collaboration, students identify and promote sustainable economic, cultural and social progress in their communities. Students research what happens in a locally-based food system, conduct interviews with food producers, farmers, and key stakeholders at the local level, then turn their findings into information artworks that illustrate what sustainability looks like in their own backyards.
Arts (Visual and Fine Arts, Performance, Music)
- Spring Hill currently has a vibrant and curriculum-integrated visual arts program.
- Performance arts and music programs are in development with the new campus expansion.
Global Studies & World Languages
- As global citizens, students delve into studies of the world through languages and cultural studies.
- The culmination of the global studies curriculum is a summer immersion trip to Mexico. Students have the opportunity to teach English and enhance Spanish learning at a partner school.
Our 21st century education engages students in their learning experience and requires a curriculum that brings relevance, multi-dimensional understanding, and respect for subject matters and participants. We believe it is our responsibility to offer an education that builds a community of students who can reach their potential and become lifelong learners.
We hold high import to the following:
- Critical Thinking
- Creativity & Innovation